Extensive exemption and remission arrangements protect those likely to have difficulty in paying charges (NHS prescription and dental charges, optical and hospital travel costs).
The NHS prescription charge is a flat-rate amount which successive Governments have thought it reasonable to charge for those who can afford to pay for their medicines. Prescription prepayment certificates (PPCs) offer real savings for people who need extensive medication.
From April 2023, the charges are:
- Prescription (per item): £9.65
- 12-month prepayment certificate (PPC): £111.60
- 3-month PPC: £31.25
- If you will need to pay for four or more prescription items in three months, or more than 14 items in 12 months, you may find it cheaper to buy a PPC – see below ‘How much you can save‘. The charge for a single prescription item is £9.65, whereas a three month PPC will cost you £31.25 and a 12 month PPC £111.60.
- PPC telephone advice line 0300 330 1341
- General Public – Buy or Renew a PPC On-line
There is further information about prescription exemptions and fees on the NHS website.