DESMOND – Diabetes Education and Self-Management for Ongoing or Newly Diagnosed
DESMOND is a nationally accredited course for people with Type 2 Diabetes.
It’s pretty unique. It is an education programme specifically designed to support you the person with diabetes to become the expert. The fully trained educators are there to help you increase your knowledge and understanding of what having diabetes will mean for you and how you can manage your care effectively. It is an opportunity to meet and share experiences with others.
DESMOND as a programme can be delivered over one day course or 2 half day (equivalent)sessions.
You are invited to join a small group of up to 10 people with Type 2 Diabetes. You will be given up to date information and learn practical skills to manage your diabetes. The DESMOND programme is built around group activities, but there will be opportunities for individuals to speak to an Educator on their own if they wish. An opportunity will be provided to discuss and explore factors relating to diabetes such as food choices, activity and medication. You will also be able to meet and talk to others in the same situation. The sessions are delivered in an informal and friendly atmosphere. It is not like being back at school! You can bring your partner, family member, carer or friend, they will be very welcome.
The course can be accessed by people that have been newly diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes (within first 12 months of diagnosis) but also those who have established Type 2 diabetes.
View the patient story – Getting to Grips with Type 2 Diabetes
This video is also available in the following languages:
Interested in finding out more?
How to Access
DESMOND is free to access. You can simply self-refer by contacting the DESMOND Team on 01772 777620 or ask your doctor, practice nurse or healthcare professional to refer you to DESMOND.
For more information on the programme contact the DESMOND TEAM
Tel: 01772 777620 email [email protected]
Diabetes education will help give you the confidence to manage your diabetes day to day – Learn to live well with Type 2 diabetes.
DESMOND stands for Diabetes Education and Self – Management for Ongoing and Newly Diagnosed
- It’s a way of finding out more about Type 2 Diabetes
- It’s a resource to help you manage the changes diabetes will bring to your life
- It’s an opportunity to meet and share experiences with others
Course Duration: 9.30 to 4.30pm (to include breaks), plus a mixture of half day sessions and occasional Saturdays. To book a place Tel: (01772) 777620 or
email: [email protected]
- Moor Park Health & Leisure Centre, Bristol Avenue, Blackpool, FY2 0JG
- Whitegate Drive Health Centre, 150 Whitegate Drive, Blackpool, FY3 9ES
- South Shore PCC, Lytham Road Blackpool FY4 1TJ
- Blackpool Cricket Club, Stanley Park, Barlow Crescent off West Park Drive, Blackpool, FY3 9EQ ** New Venue for 2018**
Chorley and South Ribble
- Coppull Clinic, 2 Springfield Road, Coppull, PR7 5EJ
- Cotswold Supported Housing Centre, Cotswold House, Cotswold Road, Chorley, PR7 3HW
- Minerva Health Centre, Lowthorpe Road, Preston, PR1 6SB
- Longridge Hospital St. Wilfrids Terrace Longridge, Preston PR3 3WQ
Wyre and Fylde
- St Annes Primary Care Centre, Durham Avenue, St Annes, FY8 2EP
- Mountcroft, Albert Street, Fleetwood, FY7 6AH
- Wyre Civic Centre, Breck Road, Poulton-le-Fylde,Lancashire, FY6 7PU
- Wesham PCC Derby Road, Wesham, PR4 3AL
- Garstang Surgery, Kepple Lane, Garstang, PR3 1PB
- Over Wyre Medical Centre, Wilkinson Way, Preesall, FY6 OFA ** New Venue for 2018**
- Heysham PCC Middleton Way, Heysham, LA3 2LE
- Moor Lane Mills, Lancaster, LA1 1QD
- The Globe Arena Morecambe FC, Christie Way, Westgate, Morecambe, LA4 4TB ** New Venue for 2018**
- Galloways, 12 Victoria Street, Morecambe, LA4 4AH ** New Venue for 2018**
Curriculum basis for the day covers:
- Introduction and housekeeping
- The Participants Story
- Type 2 Diabetes and Glucose
- Managing Blood Glucose
- Food Choices: Glycaemia and Insulin Resistance
Reflections so far
- Long term effects of Type 2 Diabetes
- Physical Activity
- Food Choices – Focus on fats
- Diabetes Self-management Plan
- Questions and future care
Further information on Desmond can be found on our website at : https://www.lancashirecare.nhs.uk/desmond
Please click the links below to download the information contained on this page in document format: